Monday, January 24, 2011

Mutant Message (16 days left)

I’ve been reading this book called Mutant Message Down Under, given to me by my professor. Whether or not the story is factual is debatable, but essentially, an American woman who was abducted by one of the few surviving Australian aboriginal groups. The tribe, who refer to themselves the Real People, called her a “Mutant” (no, this is not some crazy sci-fi nonsense) because she, like the rest of the non-aboriginal world, had lost touch with Oneness, controlling one’s actions to benefit the happiness of life everywhere. They adopt this Mutant for a few months on a walkabout, where they teach her their beliefs in the hope that she will share their legacy with the Mutants of the world.

The book is a big source of my fascination with the native Australians. I admire the way they live – unattached to materials, content with recalling the happy memory the object provided; endlessly roaming the outback, but never taking more than they need; and trusting completely in a higher power, always grateful for everything that crosses their path. I’ll admit, the best way to describe my feelings for the aboriginal culture is jealousy.

I’ll probably pick a few more fun quotes to post here, but I really recommend picking up a copy if you have even a little free time. It’s easy to read and really made me rethink the way I live.

In response to the suggestion that the Real People tribe have something we don’t, one skeptic said, “It’s their ideas against ours, and can a whole society of people be wrong?” Yes, I think it can.

No comments:

Post a Comment