Monday, March 28, 2011

AFL Season Opener: Carlton v. Richmond

I was barracking for the underdog, the Richmond Tigers. They even held a decent lead for a large part of the third quarter, until they keeled over and died in the last five minutes of the game.

The AFL has got the whole package - very fit players on the field and loud obnoxious fans in the stands.

Aside from the disappointment of a losing, watching a real footy game at the Melbourne Cricket Grounds (the 2nd largest stadium in the southern hemisphere, it can hold 100,000 fans) was awesome, even better than my first pre-season game at Etihad.

If you're a senior (translated: old) Melbourne Cricket Club member dressed properly (translated: how you might look in your casket), you can sit in the historical Long Room of the MCG, with beautiful leather couches and your own private bar. Am I bitter? Nah.

Too boring for me though, I want to be where the action is!

I did go with a (non-senior) Melbourne Cricket Club member (thanks Tim!), and even then there was a dress code for us. I think I managed to pull off "smart casual," which I took to mean "no flip flops."

I'm sorry I'm so awkward...

1 comment: