Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Home Sweet Home

Happy birthday America! I've been home for less than a week, but my 5 months in Australia already seem like just a wild dream. I definitely miss it already, but there are some things that America just does better.

Things I won't miss about Australia:

  • the constant haze of cigarette smoke in my face
  • stores closing at 5 pm
  • $14 per kilogram bananas
  • $3.50 half-the-size-of-a-starbucks-tall coffees, and $6.50 iced coffees
  • the "cold," and the sun setting at 5:30 pm
But even so, there are so many things about Australia that Americans will just never catch on to. For one thing, everything sounds better with an accent. Australians can even make talking about dog poop sound interesting.

Things I will miss about Australia:
  • being able to walk everywhere instead of driving
  • heaps of cafes everywhere
  • being able to sit at a cafe for hours with no one handing you a check
  • pub culture
  • not working, ever
  • Queen Victoria market
  • being able to whip out my "sorry, I'm American" card

But, I guess it's time to get back to real life (RL) now.

No comments:

Post a Comment