Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sydney: the Sequel

With a limited number of weekends left, I didn't want to double dip, but I agreed to return to Sydney last weekend to meet up with my folks. Luckily for me, it was a completely different experience.

Here's the cast:

Me: Resident expert on all things Australian.

Dad: First move upon arrival in Australia? Trying to get into the taxi driver’s seat. The driver sits on the RIGHT side of the car, as if our accents and general cluelessness didn’t give away our foreignness already.

Mom: Not significantly impressed by the Sydney Opera House. Reluctant to walk the 100 extra metres to the front of the building, she stated, “So? It looks like all the postcards.”

Don't worry, we did eventually convince her to make the trek to the Opera House steps.

And a few teasers:

  • We climbed to the top of the 134 metre high Harbour Bridge. [Cameras weren’t allowed on our climb, so the climb leader took a few pictures for us. I had a sick shot of me jumping off the side of the bridge, only to find out later that it was an “illegal shot” that I couldn't keep. Come on, Australia, I thought you were laid back.]

My super sexy climbing onesie. Look for it in next month's J. Crew magazine.
  • We went to the Blue Mountains, and descended the Giant Stairway (1000 steep steps to the bottom), saw the Three Sisters (another stack of pretty Australian rocks), and admired numerous more waterfalls. There was a train that could take you back up to the start of the hike, but I don't roll with cheaters. We climbed up the Furber Steps instead, a slightly easier route than the Giant Stairway.

All smiles on the way down.

  • We ate dinner at an excellent Korean restaurant, tucked away in a back alley, and recommended by the man working in the Korean convenience store. Always trust the Asian man behind the counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment